- Hits: 3909
On July 11, 1956, the Race Street Baptist Mission, being led by the Lord to organize into a Church, called upon the Bible Baptist Church for authority to organize the Southland Missionary Baptist Church. The church met at 1822 Race St. in Cincinnati, Ohio. James Roberts was officially voted in as pastor on Aug.4, 1956. The charter members were: James Roberts, Clyde Brasel, Harold Rolison, Harold Roberts, Herman Rolison, Dorothy Roberts, Maye
1959, when Bro. L. B. Huskey was elected pastor for the following yr. Bro. Huskey resigned in 1961. Bro. Buford Earls was voted in as pastor on Aug.5,1961, where he remained so until Sept. of 1962 when Bro. James Roberts was voted back in as pastor until Mar. of Brasel, & Beulah Rolison. Bro. Roberts served as pastor of SMBC until Aug.1, 1979.Having outgrown its current location, the church moved to the corner of Westwood & Grand Avenue, 1701 Westwood Ave., in Mar. 1964.
The Lord continued to bless & they soon needed a new building. The Southland Missionary Baptist Church moved to 2394 Grant Street, Cinti., OH, in Sept. 1972. Eventually they purchased the adjacent lot for further expansion.
On Aug.4, 1979 the church voted Sam Hall as pastor. In the spring of 1988 some men noticed a piece of property for sale not far from the current location. Feeling led by the Lord, the church purchased the land & began building. The SMBC started meeting at 2485 Springdale Rd, Cinti., OH, in Aug. 1990. Pastor Sam Hall retired in Feb. 2000, after 21 yrs as pastor.
On Mar.26, 2000, James R. Love began as pastor of SMBC. The Lord blessed and the church mortgage was paid off in Jan. 2001. Pastor Love continues to serve as pastor of SMBC.